I’ve just put the cap on my Innovations project this year and have a couple of videos to show for it. One is a simple demonstration, the other a narrated explanation.
I’m really pleased with how this project turned out, It’s the first time in a while I’ve really attempted anything fully out of my comfort zone. I Started off with zero knowledge on how L-Systems even worked and ended up producing a pretty well rounded and simple L-System class. Perhaps the project went too smoothly… I guess I’ll find out when the marks come around.
The above image is generated using my code so far.
The code takes in a set of L-system rules and the starting axiom. It then feeds those rules to a tree building class that uses 3D turtles to build up and cache the tree geometry.
It’s drawn using simple GL_LINES, something which I hope to augment in the next few weeks not only so it appears as a more visually interesting artifact, but also because for some reason gl lines don’t seem to get drawn on my windows laptop…